Research scientist turned social entrepreneur. Founder of Connecting Dreams Foundation - an organization that seeks to bridge the gap between urban and rural India using technology, entrepreneurship and power of youth (http://www.connecting-dreams.org). An ardent believer in inclusive growth. passionate about transforming the society and empowering the rural community through ICT.
Connecting Dreams Foundation (CDF) - (September 2012 to Present)
Founder and Executive Director -
CDF believes that the solutions to some of the big challenges in rural India lie within rural India itself and the best we can do it just get the villages connected with each other by providing an appropriate technology – thereby making the villages into village smart grids (VSG’s). All that we need that at the end is connecting collective dreams together and hence was born “Connecting Dreams” initiative. Since its Inception CDF has touched more than 50,000 lives across 5 states.
Foundation for Innovation and Collaborative Education (March 2012 to Present)
Associate Director – Entrepreneurship and Innovation (August 2016 to present)
Program Manager – Entrepreneurship and Innovation (March 2012 – July 2016)
FICE is focused on bridging the academia-industry divide, enhancing student employability, promoting innovation and creating an entrepreneurial ecosystem for youth. Led various workshops for youth on ideation, innovation and entrepreneurship in India and abroad. Consulted Intel corporation on various projects including their famous "Power of E" initiative, focused on Entrepreneurship. Program managed Intel and DST “Innovate for Digital India Challenge” season 1 (2015-16) & season 2 (2016-17). Currently working closely with Intel and Niti Aayog in managing Atal Tinkering Labs across 10 Labs pan India.
The Centre for Genomic Applications (June 2004 – March 2012)
(An Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology – Institute of Molecular Medicine Collaboration)
Research Associate – Technical April 2010 to March 2012
- Coordinated a project for Open Source Drug Discovery (OSDD) on Cloning, Expression & Purification of Proteins, which involved conducting trainings of graduate students from different parts of the country.
- Developed MALDITOF Based assay for HBV Genotyping.
- Trained and worked on Next Generation Sequencing data analysis.
- Coordinated the project on FoxP3 Expression in collaboration with All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
Senior Research Biologist April 2007 - March 2010
- Initialized the work in field of Hepatitis B Virus Genotyping with Department of Gastroenterology, AIIMS, which was later funded by Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
- Developed an algorithm for identification and development of genomic signatures for characterization of the genome of interest using different parameters.
- Initialized Gene Expression Data Analysis.
- Conducted Data analysis trainings for various departments.
- Initialized Real-time PCR based assay design and testing services in the organization.
Research Biologist June 2004 - March 2007
- Part of various teams – Bioinformatics, Sequencing and Genotyping.
- Completed various projects as part of different teams.
- Developed various data analysis tools for sequencing department.
- Identification and development of genomic signatures for characterization of the genome of interest using different parameters.
- Whole genome expression studies, using Affymetrix GeneChip and Illumina BeadArray platforms - Genome Based Diagnosis of various infectious diseases.
- mRNA quantification, pathogen estimation etc. by Real Time PCR employing various chemistries.
- Gene Expression Data Analysis. (Affymetrix, illumina Bead Array)
- DNA Methylation
- Assay Design – Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification.
- Assay Design for Genotyping, PCR and Sequencing.
- Data Analysis – Next Generation sequencing (454 /Illumina Solexa)
1. Patents Filed
Indian Patent Application and PCT application (PCT/IN2009/000442) filed for the invention entitled ‘Identification of genomic signature for differentiating highly similar sequence variants of an organism’ on August 5, 2009. Inventors: Amit Tuteja, Swati Subodh, K Narayanasamy.
Presently working on the design and development of a webtool based on Genomic Signature Prediction and Analysis (patent pending). The Webtool is expected to be hosted for use by the research community.
3. Novel Assays Developed
a. Mass Spectrometry (Sequenom ®) based assay for identification and differentiation of various pathogen isolates and their subtypes (HBV, HCV, HIV etc).
b. Colorimetric detection of Hepatitis B Virus from Viral DNA using Loop Mediated isothermal Amplification.
a) Eighth JSH Single Topic Conference, 20-22 November, 2009, Tokyo, Japan. – Oral
b) International Meeting of the Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B Viruses, August 30th – 2nd September, 2009, Tours, Loire Valley, France – Poster Presentation.
c) 2010 International Meeting: The Molecular Biology of Hepatitis B Viruses, September 09 – September 13, 2010, Taiwan. – Poster Presentation.
a) Mutation profiling of the hepatitis B virus strains circulating in North Indian population.
Tuteja A, Siddiqui AB, Madan K, Goyal R, Shalimar, Sreenivas V, Kaur N, Panda SK, Narayanasamy K, Subodh S, Acharya SK. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 17;9(3):e91150. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091150.
b) GSIT: An integrated web-tool for identification of genomic signatures in highly similar DNA sequences. Tuteja A, Joshi K, Subodh S, Kaur N. Bioinformation. 2014 Aug 30;10(8):551-4. doi: 10.6026/97320630010551
c) Genome-wide gene expression analysis for target genes to differentiate patients with intestinal tuberculosis and Crohn's disease and discriminative value of FOXP3 mRNA expression. Ahuja V, Subodh S, Tuteja A, Mishra V, Garg SK, Gupta N, Makharia G, Acharya SK. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2016 Feb;4(1):59-67. doi: 10.1093/gastro/gov015.
d) Synovial fluid mononuclear cell gene expression profiling suggests dysregulation of innate immune genes in enthesitis-related arthritis patients. Myles A, Tuteja A, Aggarwal A. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012 Oct;51(10):1785-9. Epub 2012 Jul 4.
Ph.D., April 2008 – March 2014
Amity University, India
Ph.D. thesis: Rapid Genotypic and mutational analysis of clinical HBV isolates using high throughput microarray technology and correlation with disease presentation, severity and outcomes’ – Study Funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
Principle Investigator – Dr Swati Subodh, The Centre for Genomic Application, New Delhi
Co-PI – Dr S.K. Acharya, Department of Gastroenterology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
B.Tech (Biotechnology), August 2000 – May 2004
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, INDIA
- Completed an Advanced Course on ‘Functional Genomics and Systems Biology’ by the Wellcome Trust Advance Courses, held at Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK in May-June, 2010
- Completed “The 3rd Virtual Training Workshop on Bioinformatics “conducted by Asian Bioinformatics Research and Education Network (Japan) - 2010
- Completed Bioinformatics Course conducted by S*star organization (Singapore). The course encompassed Computational molecular biology genomics, an overview of the computational analysis of Biological sequences, comparative genomics, transcript analysis, representation and algorithm for computational molecular biology, protein and nucleic acid structure dynamics and engineering, protein structure primer, protein structure prediction, structure prediction for macromolecular interaction, protein ligand modeling, proteomics, proteomes, protein physics
- Completed a course on Intellectual Property from WIPO- World Wide Academy.
Other Academic Activities:
- Prepared Standard Operating Procedures and Protocols on Cloning for the Open Source Drug Discovery (OSDD) initiative involving undergraduate and post graduate students from basic science and medical science backgrounds.
- Conducted online course on Assay Design for graduate students from all over the country for OSDD.
- Conducted Workshops on Gene Expression Data Analysis for Faculty members of various Delhi University.